By: Guest Writer, Dana Danziger
Now that summer has approached, the one thing that is on my mind is the scary thought of revealing my fair skin to the rest of the ever so tan world. Being a redhead has made me come to terms with the fact that my skin isn’t meant to receive that golden bronze look that most of my friends are able to obtain.
Has this bothered me? Honestly, it has.
I have always been a little self conscious of “baring all” on the beach because I felt like I looked like the poster child for 100 SPF sunscreen.
Self-tanners have always been an option and I had my fair share with many brands ranging from lotion, foam, spray, etc. but I was never able to find something that looked natural and mesh well with my skin. My streaky arms and legs seemed to scream that I was using self-tanner and that was something I definitely didn’t want.
I felt defeated with self-tanners until recently when I tried St. Tropez Self-Tan Foaming Mousse. This product might as well have been created for redheads like myself because of the natural tan that it provides for extremely fair skin tones. In addition to the product being easy to apply and the cost being reasonable, this self-tanner smells great! Unlike most self-tanners that permeate a room with that unpleasant smell (you all know what smell I’m talking about), this product smells fresh, light and NOTHING like a self-tanner.
Here’s how to apply:
1. When washing your body in the shower, make sure to exfoliate in order to get rid of dry areas and remove dead skin. I usually exfoliate with St. Ives Apricot Scrub but St. Tropez has a line of exfoliating washes as well.
2. Next, moisturize those dry areas with a body moisturizer (any type would work fine). The “dry/problem” areas are usually your elbows, knees, ankles, and feet.
3. Once moisturized, pump the foaming mousse into your palm and sweep it from top to toe making sure your body is well covered.
4. Apply it evenly to your body in order to avoid it looking patchy. Wait 60 seconds before getting dressed.
5. After at least four hours, shower off to reveal a beautiful, natural, glowing tan!
6. In order to maintain the tan, re-apply the foaming mousse a couple of times a week.
Happy tanning, Redheads!