Updated: May 22, 2020
Apply sunscreen daily. It’s something us redheads are taught to do at a very young age. No one wants to revisit that painful sunburn from childhood.
Do you ever wonder if you’re missing a particular area of the skin when applying your favorite ‘redhead friendly’ sunscreen? Researchers from the University of Liverpool released findings from a study about how we apply sunscreen.
The most missed spot: the eyelid area.
The study involved 57 men and women. They asked each participant to apply sunscreen to their face. Using a special camera, the researchers captured the places they missed. Around 13% of participants missed the eyelids and roughly 77% missed the area between the corner of the eye and the bridge of the nose. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, melanoma on the eyelid area accounts for 5 to 10% of all skin cancers.
Many sunscreen users avoid the eye area simply because they want to avoid getting sunscreen in their eyes. Because, ouch! The stinging is an awful feeling. Sunglasses do help protect the eyelid area, but not always.
Make it a part of your daily sunscreen routine to protect your eyelids.
Tip: Apply sunscreen thoroughly throughout the eyelid area before applying makeup.
Here are five ‘redhead friendly’ approved facial products to help you do so:
1. Fresh Sugar Sport Treatment Sunscreen SPF 30 ($44): A durable, water-resistant stick sunscreen that’s perfect for the on-the-go redhead.
2. Clinique Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen Fluid for Face ($29): An ultra-lightweight mineral sunscreen for any skin type.
3. TruKid Sunscreen Face Stick – SPF30 ($12): A stick sunscreen that’s perfect for the entire family.
4. Supergoop! Anti-Aging Eye Cream with Oat Peptide SPF 37 ($32): This super interesting product has SPF 37 and a cool-tip applicator that soothes and reduces puffiness for a well-rested, refreshed look.
5. Babo Botanicals Daily Sheer Non-Nano Zinc SPF 40 ($15): A hypoallergenic sunscreen that was made for those with sensitive skin.
Wondering what other areas redheads may be forgetting to apply sunscreen? Watch the video below!
Rock it like a Redhead!
Subscribe to the H2BAR Box: A monthly and quarterly beauty subscription box for redheads! Use code: REDHAIR for 10% off. Subscribe now!