1. Red hair and blue eyes is the rarest combination in the world.
Photo Credit: Angelica Photography
2. Redheads soak up more sun. It is because they usually have less melanin producing capacity in their skin and thus are more sun sensitive than are their dark haired counterparts, who usually have darker skin, more melanin, and therefore more sun protection capacity. Read more here.
3. As reported by The Independent, the redhead gene could be on its way out because the gene is thought to be a response to cloudy weather in Scotland; something the country could see less and less of due to global warming. Read more here.
4. The Irish Central reported about a new US study at Penn State University. “They found out that Europeans’ light skin stems from a gene mutation from a single person who lived 10,000 years ago. Read more here.
5. A redhead’s light skin is incredibly sensitive and can burn easily when in contact with lime juice. “I want to let people know about this type of burn because it is especially severe for people with fair skin, like redheads.” Read Shelby Anderson’s story here.
6. Redheads may feel more pain at the dentist. Read more here.
7. It has been proven that redheads need larger doses of anesthesia and are often resistant to local pain blockers like novocaine. Read more here.
8. Natural redheads could be at greater risk of melanoma without sun exposure. Read more here.
9. It is useful to know that if the red hair gene is in your family history, then even if you do not have red hair yourself, you do carry the gene. Read more here.
10. Redheads bruise more! Read more here.
11. Rocks those shades! A majority of redheads have light colored eyes, which has less pigment. This causes sensitivity to the sun’s harmful rays more than brown or black eyes. It’s very important that all redheads wear sunglasses to keep their eyes safe. Read more here.
Rock it like a Redhead!