For most redheads, there comes a time when you have to dye your beloved locks. And, for redheads ‘by choice’, there is a trip to the salon every 6-8 weeks for a fill. For those who want to stretch their appointments a bit longer, we want to introduce you to: root cover-ups.
It’s a great option if you’re between colorings and want a little boost, or have gray/white roots to cover up.
Root cover-ups deliver quick and easy coverage for every shade of red hair. It is a quick, affordable option that delivers amazing results.
8 Important Tips To Know About Root Cover Ups:
1. Lightly pull your red hair away from the scalp and brush color on until you get the look you want.
2. Many root cover up products come in sprays and powders.
3. If using a spray, we recommend applying it to a tissue first, and then to your roots. Shake well before using. Spray 2-4 inches away from root. Let dry for 1-2 minutes.
4. If using a powder formula, press directly onto roots rather than brushing. People tend to brush since it comes with a brush applicator, but pressing makes sure the roots get covered completely. Also, make sure to get a lot of product on the actual brush. Don’t worry! It will all blend. Powders can be more precise and give you more control.
5. Make sure your red hair is dry. The spray or powder products won’t work well if hair is damp or wet.
6. For best coverage, apply a light, light mist of hairspray before applying the root cover up for best coverage.
7. If your bed sheets are light, we recommend putting a towel or cloth over your pillow to avoid any stains occurring. The product can come off when rubbed on a pillow overnight.
8. The root cover ups come in a variety of shades, ensuring your roots match the rest of your hair!
9 Best ‘Redhead Friendly’ Approved Root Cover Ups:
1. L’Oreal Paris Root Cover Up – Red: In just 3 seconds gray roots are concealed with this light-weight, quick dry formula- leaving no smudging or sticky residue when dry. One application will last until your next shampoo, plus it’s ammonia-free, peroxide-free, and contains no synthetic dyes.
2. Rita Hazan Root Concealer Touch-Up Spray Temporary – Red: This water-proof, transfer-proof spray formula features a pinpoint actuator to cover grays exactly where you need it.
3. Oribe Airbrush Root Touch-Up Spray – Red: Quick drying powder formula absorbs dirt and oil. Formulated without parabens, sulfates or sodium chloride. Color and keratin treatments safe. UV protection for hair, Vegan, cruelty-free and gluten-free.
Credit: Color Wow Root Cover Up for Red Hair Demonstration
Credit: Madison Reed Root Touch Up
9. TEMPTU Root Touch Up, Red: This long-wearing, temporary hair color is designed to be airbrushed onto your hair to refresh its color quickly and easily. Its vitamin-enriched formula leaves hair soft and touchable, never dry, dull, stiff or sticky. It is weightless, nongreasy, easily layers and won’t interfere with your normal hair styling routine.
Rock it like a Redhead!