Updated: April 2, 2020
For most redheads, there comes a time when you have to dye your beloved locks. And, for redheads ‘by choice’, there is a trip to the salon every 6-8 weeks for a fill. For those who want to stretch their appointments a bit longer, we want to introduce you to a root cover-up.
It’s a great option if you’re between colorings and want a little boost, or have gray/white roots to cover up.
Root cover-ups deliver quick and easy coverage for every shade of red hair. It is a quick, affordable option that delivers amazing results.
8 Important Tips To Know About Root Cover-Ups:
1. Lightly pull your red hair away from the scalp and brush color on until you get the look you want.
2. Many root cover-up products come in sprays and powders.
3. If using a spray, we recommend applying it to a tissue first, and then to your roots. Shake well before using. Spray 2-4 inches away from the root. Let dry for 1-2 minutes.
4. If using a powder formula, press directly onto roots rather than brushing. People tend to brush since it comes with a brush applicator, but pressing makes sure the roots get covered completely. Also, make sure to get a lot of product on the actual brush. Don’t worry! It will all blend. Powders can be more precise and give you more control.
5. Make sure your red hair is dry. The spray or powder products won’t work well if hair is damp or wet.
6. For best coverage, apply a light mist of hairspray before applying the root cover-up for best coverage.
7. If your bed sheets are light, we recommend putting a towel or cloth over your pillow to avoid any stains occurring. The product can come off when rubbed on a pillow overnight.
8. The root cover-ups come in a variety of shades, ensuring your roots match the rest of your hair!
10 Best ‘Redhead Friendly’ Approved Root Cover-Ups:
1. L’Oreal Paris Magic Root Cover Up Concealer – Red: In just 3 seconds gray roots are concealed with this light-weight, quick-dry formula- leaving no smudging or sticky residue when dry. One application will last until your next shampoo, plus it’s ammonia-free, peroxide-free, and contains no synthetic dyes.
2. Rita Hazan Root Concealer Touch-Up Spray Temporary – Red: This water-proof, transfer-proof spray formula features a pinpoint actuator to cover grays exactly where you need it.
3. ORIBE Airbrush Root Touch-Up Spray – Red: Quick-drying powder formula absorbs dirt and oil. Formulated without parabens, sulfates or sodium chloride. Color and keratin treatment safe. UV protection for hair, Vegan, cruelty-free and gluten-free.
4. Style Edit Conceal Spray – Auburn/Red: This easy-to-use spray was named ‘Best Root Coverup’ in 2018 How to be a Redhead Beauty Awards! It contains zero mineral oil, petrolatum, parabens, peroxide. Cruelty-free and works in seconds.
Credit: COLOR WOW Root Cover Up for Red Hair Demonstration
5. COLOR WOW Root Cover Up – Red: Camouflage your roots for perfect color every day. The enclosed dual-tipped brush lets you customize your cover-up for easy on-the-go applications.
6. Style Edit Root Touch Up – Light, Medium and Dark Red: An easy-to-use powder that hides roots and greys while locking in color.
Credit: Madison Reed Root Touch Up
10. TEMPTU Root Touch Up, Red: This long-wearing, temporary hair color is designed to be airbrushed onto your hair to refresh its color quickly and easily. Its vitamin-enriched formula leaves hair soft and touchable, never dry, dull, stiff or sticky. It is weightless, nongreasy, easily layers and won’t interfere with your normal hairstyling routine.
Rock it like a Redhead!