Cruelty-free ‘Redhead Friendly’ approved makeup products are on the rise. Many stores, even drugstores, are carrying a wide array of products catered to those who prefer animal-friendly products.
Cruelty-free simply means a product and its ingredients were not tested on animals.
If it’s one product we absolutely adore in the winter, it’s a hydrating, cruelty-free liquid foundation. We prefer a liquid foundation this time of year since it gives the skin a little bit more coverage and acts as a moisturizing coat. But remember: don’t hide those freckles!
TIPS BEFORE PURCHASE:
Here are 5 quick tips to keep in mind when searching for the perfect cruelty-free ‘Redhead Friendly’ approved foundation:
1. The best foundation looks like you aren’t wearing one.
Your skin should glow, look natural and not cover up your beautiful freckles. The truest foundation will blend well and disappear once applied to your skin.
2. Turn to natural daylight.
Take a hand held mirror and go outside or near a doorway to test the shades correctly.
3. Have a clean canvas.
Before you apply foundation, make sure to thoroughly clean the skin, moisturize, apply a primer.
4. Ask a professional.
Head to your local beauty department store to seek professional help. This will help clear up any confusion, making sure you have the correct product and shade.
5. Testing method.
Opt to test your foundation on your neck rather than your cheek or jawline. You’ll wind up with the most natural-looking color.
Here are 10 of our favorite ‘redhead friendly’ cruelty-free makeup foundations carrying a wide array of shades:
1. e.l.f. Foundation Serum, $8: A budget-friendly foundation containing Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 25.
2. NYX Total Control Drop Foundation, $14: A drugstore must-have. NYX experts recommend adjusting the number of drops (using the dropper) to create the look you’re feeling: sheer or full coverage. You can add the drops to your makeup brush, beauty blender or fingers.
3. Physicians Formula Nude Wear Touch of Glow Foundation, $15: Another great budget-friendly option that you can pick-up at your local drugstore. Great for those with oily skin.
Bonus: If you’re looking for a cushion foundation, opt for Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free All-in-1 ABC Cushion Foundation SPF 50, $17.
4. Pacifica Dreamy Cover Bare-Faced Serum Foundation, $17: Great lightweight option containing SPF 20.
5. Zuzu Luxe Oil-Free Liquid Foundation, $31: An all-natural, easy-to-travel option we recently discovered at our local health food store.
6. IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+, $38: Delivers full-coverage and includes SPF 50+ UVA/UVB broad-spectrum physical sunscreen.
7. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15, $39: This product has been a favorite of ours for years. Contains an SPF of 15 and goes on super light.
8. Too Faced Born This Way Absolute Perfection Foundation, $39: A medium-to-full coverage foundation that won’t disappoint.
9. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup, $40: Pick up this product if you’re looking for a demi-matte finish. Also helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
10. bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20, $30: You can’t go wrong with a bareMinerals product, especially this foundation. It’s ultra-light and contains an SPF of 20!
You have the foundation and correct shade, now all you need is the right application. You can choose to use your fingers, a blending sponge or brush. Don’t forget to clean your sponges and brushes every week-or-so to avoid any built-up bacteria and germs.
1. If you’re using your fingers: First and foremost, make sure your hands are as clean as can be. Apply lightly and blend in circular motions.
2. If you’re using a blending sponge: This is our go-to. The sponge soaks up a lot of foundation but we’ve learned this method applies the foundation more evenly and gives you the option to not hide your freckles. Dampen it with cool water before applying to get a dewy look.
Rock it like a Redhead!