By: Autumn Witts
Soft sunshine filters through your curtains and the birds tweet outside the window . . . and you jolt awake with the realization that you have to speed off to work all too soon. For many of us redheads, this is a daily routine, and we can all benefit from some painless tips on how to streamline our hectic morning routine.
1. Picking out your clothes the night before is a common practice that many of us have been doing since childhood. But how many times do you hurriedly change your mind the next day after seeing that the pieces don’t seem to fit you quite right? Therefore, actually try on the clothing the night before to see how they complement one another. If you find yourself caught off-guard with little time to spare, have a few “go-to redhead friendly” pieces selected that you know will always look good no matter how bloated you are – jeans with a nice blazer is always a safe bet.
2. A lot of time can be wasted when you have to rip apart your house to look for your keys, so do yourself a favor by keeping the items in the same, designated place on a daily basis. Furthermore, keep your shoes and jewelry organized so you don’t have to squander away the minutes by searching for a matching pair of heels or earrings.
3. Applying certain cosmetics can be time consuming while others are quick and easy; additionally, certain ones are worth the effort and some can be a waste of your precious time. While only you can be a judge of what makes you feel polished and ready to face the world, below are some tips to consider:
-A tinted moisturizer or beauty balm are handy, as they will provide your skin with a youthful, dewy look and even out inconsistent complexions while providing critical SPF protection. The best part? It requires very little blending so you can quickly rub it on without the worry of streaking. Dab concealer underneath your eyes and on blemishes, and your skin is ready to go!
-Eyeliner on the top lid and mascara will help to add definition to your eyes and make you look more awake, but skip the eye shadow. If you apply it in a rush, chances are that it will appear sloppy, which will unnecessarily ultimately detract from your look.
-Because the upper half of your face is minimalistic, don’t be afraid to add some quick color to your lips with a few swipes of tinted gloss or lipstick to easily add extra class to your look. Consider purchasing a cheek and lip stain, a two-in-one product that effortlessly adds hints of pink to your skin and mouth.
4. Your hair can be another source of frustration when you’re battling the clock to get ready in the morning. Luckily, there are simple styles you can perfect. The loose side braid is now popular and is easy to pull-off no matter your hair’s texture. When pulling your hair into a high ponytail or low knot, remember that the redhead bobby pins are your best friend, and it’s always wise to store a couple in your purse in the scenario that your hair falls out of place throughout the day. If your hair is looking on the greasy side, dry shampoo is a quick way to get rid of the excess slickness while also adding fun volume.
5. Skipping breakfast is never advisable, as it will leave you feeling depleted of energy, can set the tone for the day and skipping will have you feeling grumpy and hungry. However, sometimes a gal has to grab breakfast on the go, so have an assortment of foods that can easily be snatched up and gobbled while driving to work, like an apple, bagel or snack bar. As tempting as it may be to reach for coffee, don’t forget to stay hydrated with water as well!
Tell us redheads, what do YOU do to streamline your morning routine?
By: Carmina Alvarez
Heat is redhead’s worst enemy and best friend.
Let me explain. Heat can easily destroy our beautiful red hair but can also beautifully enhance our locks and gives us the hair we were born to have! As a curly redhead myself, I have extensive experience with all kinds of heat protectants. On a daily basis, I use a flat iron on my curls and for years, I was not using a protectant on my hair. I noticed extreme drying and coarseness. Once I began using a heat protectant, my hair became glossy and manageable, and also looked vibrantly red!
If you frequently use brow dryers, curling irons, flat irons and hair rollers; then preparing your hair with a heat protectant is a must! Heat styling products will keep our our red hair from hair weakening, excessive dryness and unmanageability because the products coat the hair strands for protection, but also add smoothness and shine to the hair, eliminates frizz and straightens hair with a healthy looking finish.
Most heat protectants come in a spray or serum bottle presentation and both will give you a glossy coat to your gorgeous red hair. Here are the 5 best “redhead friendly” heat styling products:
1. L’Oreal Professionel ’Lumino Contrast’ Protective Spray: It is designed for excessively dry hair and guarantees extra smoothness and protection. Its consistency is watery at the top and oily at the bottom, and once you shake the bottle it all comes together and creates an amazing heat protectant. It is an excellent product for blow drying and flat ironing hair.
2. Beyond the Zone ’Turn Up The Heat’ Spray: This is a personal favorite. It protects hair and adds smoothness and shine with its oil based formula. It is great when using flat irons and curling irons.
3. Redken ’Real Control’ Thermal Resist Spray: The entire ‘Real Control’ line is “redhead friendly” and their conditioner leaves my hair super soft and shiny. So, it was no surprise when I tried the Redken ’Real Control’ Thermal Resist Spray and was blown away by the results. Tip: It is suggested to spray on the product first, then blow dry and flat iron.
4. John Frieda ’Frizz Ease’ Hair Serum: This is an oldie but goodie. It completely de-frizzes and protects hair; and for a curly haired redhead like myself, this is very important. Its perfect for flat ironing and when using a curling iron.
5. L’Oreal Professionnel ’Absolut Repair’ Cellular Serum: This product is formulated to repair dry hair and mend split ends. Tip: Mix this product with the L’Oreal Professionnel ’Lumino Contrast’ Protective Spray and you will have an excellent heat protectant and repair cocktail. Mix 3 to 4 drops of the serum and 2 spritzes of the protectant spray in the palm of your hands, and apply it evenly to your hair. Blow dry and follow up with your flat iron for ultra-smooth shiny results.
Bella Thorne was rockin’ a high, red bun a few weeks ago. We love how she whipped it up on top of her head and the bun was original and didn’t take away from her overall look. Buns are interesting and are fun when paired with good nail art, patterned dresses and red lipstick.
1. Blow dry your hair to increase its volume and straighten it after using a bit of heat-protection hairspry.
2. Pull your hair into a high ponytail (you can do this upside down if you need help getting more height or if you have very long hair).
3. Next, spray some extra hairspray on. It’s extra important to have your hair stay on it’s own so you don’t need to fix it throughout the day or night.
4. Instead of wrapping the hair tightly around the hair elastic, wrap it loosely, tugging it up so that it creates the same shape. Fasten it in place with a few extra redhead bobby pins.
5. Like Bella, make sure your bangs are pulled out before you begin styling your bun or do a fun crown braid.
Flame-haired and lavishly freckled, Julianne Moore grew up acutely aware of being perceived as different. She embraces and loves her red locks, as we all do. All redheads soon realize that as they walk down the street, people are drawn to the fiery hue.
Now it is time to “up” the ante and make our red hair shine! Keep looking beautifully red and use these top 5 tips for radiant red hair:
1. Let’s Clarify:
Some hair products can contain a lot of ingredients that can bog down red hair. Using hair products regularly can cause build up on our fiery manes, and make them look dull and a bit unhappy. Make your hair smile again by using a clarifying shampoo to shift all the excess product that can cling to your hair. Use a product like Alberto Balsam Coconut and Lychee Shampoo & Conditioner because it clears hair of any residual products and leaves it smelling amazing too!
2. Treat Your Tresses:
Just like our skin needs a bit of a pamper, so does our hair. Shop around and choose a hair mask that is designed for your hair type to help battle any issues your hair might have such as dryness, flyaway hair or frizziness. I treat my hair to a mask once a week to make it feel loved. The L’Oreal EverRiche Nourishing Intense Mask is a great choice, especially for thick tresses that are susceptible to dry areas. This product works really works to detangle and nourish hair for a smooth result.
Tip: Use a hair mask once a week instead of your conditioner to obtain the best results.
It’s the best beauty product there is out there.
You learned about the benefits of drinking water. It is the best and easiest way to achieve an overall appearance of health. If there is one beauty rule you follow every day, make it that you drink plenty of water. If you get yourself into a good routine of increasing your water intake you will soon be reaping the benefits!
4. Cut it Out:
“Practice what you preach.” I need to use this advice because I myself hate getting hair cuts. I am always afraid they’ll cut off a bit too much and I’ll leave frightened! However, regular haircuts is really important for long, thick locks. A good trim every 6 weeks or so will prevent split ends and make your hair grow longer.
5. Protect, Protect, Protect!
We redheads know that our hair is our livelihood.
There are so many nasty things out there that can damage our hair that, just like our skin. To avoid problems resulting from heat, use a hair protector. This will keep your locks from unwanted damage that can dry them out, cause breakage, or make them look lifeless!
And we can’t have that, redheads!
To avoid damage during hair washing, steer clear of brushing your hair when it is wet. Instead, opt for a wide-toothed comb to detangle your locks, or a product like the Tangle Teezer. This simple solution will help avoid any unwanted breakage, and keep your hair in tip-top condition.
Rock it like a Redhead!
Redheads are known to have sensitive skin which is why How to be a Redhead has a rigid process when deeming products safe for redheads and if approved, stamps the product with the “redhead friendly” stamp of approval.
Have you been troubled by those red bumps in your armpit? Do they seem to get worse after you apply antiperspirant? Chances are, you are not using the right deodorant. The best deodorants for redheads with sensitive skin should be free of harsh chemicals such as aluminum chlorohydrate and should also be paraben and fragrance free. But, we all know there are circumstances when you’re in a pinch and have to purchase a deodorant with some chemicals in it. The below will tell about the best “redhead friendly” approved deodorants:
1. Vichy Deodorant 24 Hour Care Stick: It is a great deodorant for sensitive skin because it lasts up to twenty four hours and contains zinc gluconate to naturally fight odors. It is also enriched with skin conditioners that moisturize and soothe the skin, and is free of aluminum, parabens and fragrances.
2. Kiehls Superbly Efficient Anti-Perspirant and Deodorant: It is unscented, extremely gentle and an efficient anti–perspirant and deodorant cream. It leaves skin feeling soft, soothed and conditioned with 24–hour protection against sweat and odor. Reduces underarm perspiration utilizing advanced micro–sized drying molecules for sheer absorption with no residue.
3. Secret Clinical Strength for Sensitive Skin: This product does contain aluminum and is a great option when you’re in a rush and need deodorant in a jiffy. It is hypoallergenic and is considered one of the best deodorants for sensitive skin. It also offers wetness protection and prescription strength odor control.
4. Dove Invisible Solids, Sensitive Skin: Another great choice if you are at a local pharmacy and need a good quality, natural deodorant designed for sensitive skin. It is fragrance-free and has 24-hour odor and wetness protection. It glides on clear and is hypoallergenic!
5. Kiss My Face Liquid Rock Roll-On Deodorant: This deodorant contains no aluminum and the simplicity of the ingredients is great for women, especially if pregnant. There have been many times that women choose a natural option and soon finds out that it doesn’t work well. But, this product is surprisingly wonderful. It leaves you odorless and sweat-free.. even after an hour long session at the gym.
Rock it like a Redhead!