Warm Toned or Cool Toned? It’s Easy! Read Below:
By: Erin Haight
A beautiful redhead is at the cosmetic counter at a department store and is searching tirelessly for the foundation that will perfectly match her complexion. A woman dressed in a lab coat approaches and asks, “Are you a warm tone or a cool tone?”
The redhead thinks, “Huh? What did she mean? Did she just insult me or say I look ill?”
Ravishing reds, never fear.
Here are a few tips you can use to determine if you have warm or cool undertones in your complexion and what to do about it:
Cool Tones: This means that you have blue-green tint to go with that fleshy skin color.
Warm Tones: This means you have peaches, reds, and purples mixed into your skin color.
EASY TRICKS TO FIND OUT WHAT TONE YOU ARE:
1. Turn your arm upwards so that you can see the underside of your forearm. Find your darkest most obvious vein, see it? Now is it blue-green or bluish-purple? If it is blue-green, you are a “cool” tone. If it is bluish-purple you are a “warm” tone. Easy, right?!
2. The color of your eyes can also make a big difference in figuring out what you are. If you have brown or hazel eyes, you are most likely a warm tone. If you have blue or grey-ish eyes you are probably a cool tone.
3. Most redheads have cool toned skin, but there are always exceptions.
LEARN HOW COSMETIC COMPANIES DEFINE YOU:
1. Remember that most foundations are labeled NW or NC and a corresponding number, like NW25 or NC 20. That means Neutral Warm or Neutral Cool. The number is the level of color, the smaller the number the lighter the shade.
TRICKS FOR SUMMER & WINTER:
1. In the summer, keep it sheer with tinted moisturizer in a slightly warmer shade to emphasize the color of your gorgeous freckles (Jealous!!). This shade should be somewhere between the color of your freckles and underlying skin tone.
2. In the winter months, emphasize the underlying skin tone color and use thicker moisturizer and foundation. You can cancel out redness with yellow-based foundation and concealer.
Now, when you find yourself at your next makeup counter, the conversation will go a lot more smoothly and you’ll find the ‘redhead friendly’ product you so desire.
Keep beautifully Red and Rock it like a Redhead!
Leave A Response
Dont Miss Out...
How to be a Redhead had the distinct pleasure to interview Lauren Gott, celebrity makeup artist and redhead for the past thirteen years. She is known for her flawless application, acute attention to detail, and unique amount of creativity!
By: Lanie Short Copper, auburn, strawberry – natural or not – we redheads all lament that our shiny, vibrant color fades from the sun, water, and harsh products. Natural red hair grows slowly and visits to the salon damage hair and pocketbooks – so what’s a ginger to do? One way to keep your red fresh is by using color
By: Sarah Reeves The Belle of the Ball at the Cannes Film Festival is the lovely redhead Jessica Chastain. She has two movies launching this year at the festival, Lawless and Madagascar 3 and she looked amazingly chic at every event. She always chooses ‘redhead friendly’ colors and her hair/makeup always compliments her fashion choices. Here are my favorite looks from