QUESTION: A couple of years ago, I decided to turn into a redhead. I got great comments and feedback and I absolutely love how natural it looks; there is just one problem- my eyebrows! I color my hair with henna because it stays in the longest and gives it a natural look; however, if I apply this technique to my eyebrows- it won’t color them! Any hair stylist I see tells me that they don’t do eyebrows in red because it most likely turns out wrong. I don’t like painting my eyebrows on my face because I love then natural look! What should I do?
ANSWER BY: Rona O’Connor: Facialists are licensed to do eyebrows and should have a few colors that could suit a redhead. In the meantime, you could use an auburn eyeshadow that will create a reddish undertone to your brows or an eyebrow pencil until you can find someone to warm up your brows.
Do you have naturally brown eyebrows? Then, find a color that is a warm hue to bring your brows closer to the red family- like ash brown or light brown.
Do you have naturally blonde or light eyebrows? Then, you will need a natural dark red brow tint, but eyeshadows or pencils can work quite well for temporary fixes.
Rock it like a Redhead!
Honey promotes new tissue growth. Before pasteurization, honey contains bee pollen, propolis, and other components that stimulate the growth of new skin. Here are the benefits of incorporating honey into your redhead beauty regimen:
1. EXFOLIANT: Honey makes a great exfoliant because it contains mild alpha hydroxy acids, such as gluconic acid. These acids are very safe to use on skin and can loosen bonds between the dead skin cells, making it easier to shed this dead layer. These acids also increase elasticity, balance out oily skin, stimulate collagen production, and minimize lines and wrinkles, making you look younger.
2. MOISTURIZES: Honey helps the skin hold moisture in because it contains amino acids, which helps the skin retain its essential moisture. In addition, the natural sugar content in honey makes it an excellent humectant. So, apply this honey mask each day for extra moisturizing:
-Pull your hair back and remove all makeup.
-Take about a teaspoon of raw honey from the jar using a spoon or the tips of your fingers.
-Rub your fingertips together a bit, then smear the honey on your face evenly. It may help to dot it on first, then smear gently.
-Leave on for 10 minutes to 1 hour (whatever is best for your skin) and wash off with warm water.
3. ANTI-AGING: You can reduce free radicals with honey! Because of its many antioxidants, honey can reverse damage done to your skin by these free radicals, and does not dry out your skin.
4. IMPROVES CIRCULATION: It has been proven that honey improves blood circulation. Basically, this means improved, beautiful skin.
Important: Make sure that you use raw honey at all times.
Rock it like a Redhead!
Many redheads want to highlight the color of their eyes to make their red hair and ivory skin pop, but just don’t know how to do it. The truth is that many times finding the right shade of makeup can make all of the difference. Brown eyes, blue eyes or green eyes, they all have makeup styles that can make those eyes really “pop” out.
1. Here are a few tips to find your perfect eye shadow shades:
BROWN EYES: You brown eyed girls have all the choices because most shadow colors compliment brown eyes. For daytime, a soft brown and taupe combination looks natural and pretty, try “Saddle” and “Naked Lunch” by MAC. For evening, play up those doe eyes with rich purples, or metallics in bronze or gold tones like “Amber Lights” or “Satellite” also by MAC.
BLUE EYES: Blue eyes can really sparkle by choosing a contrasting hue of shadow; accentuate baby blues with warm browns and rose tones. Use earthy shades on blue eyes and the Laura Mercier “Book of Nudes” eye shadow palette is perfect for daytime! For evening, metallic silvers and purples look gorgeous with blue eyes.
GREEN EYES: For those of us with green eyes, warm shades are our best look. Try blending browns with gold tones on your eyes. Plums and cranberry shades also look amazing and intensify green eyes too; some great examples include, Bare Minerals “Here Kitty” and MAC “Antiqued.”
2. Eyeliner: It’s always best for redheads to try deep brown or black shades which is universally flattering to every eye color.
3. Great Mascara: Like most redheads, my eyelashes are naturally very light, so take mascara seriously! Maybelline mascara in black, “Falsies Volume Express.” This genius formula will make your lashes look thick, lush, long and flirty.
Whether you’re a brown eyed girl, a blue eyed babe or a green eyed woman, your eyes are the most expressive feature on your face! Have fun playing up those jewels and before you know it, you’ll be batting those eyelashes and winking your own reflection in the mirror.
Rock it like a Redhead!
By: Brittany Henderson
This spring/summer, white is one of the most standout colors from the runway to the streets. How can anyone resist the beauty of a white dress? Taylor Tomasi Hill (a redhead fashion icon!) rocks white and proves that nothing will make you feel more flirty and fun this summer season:
How to rock this trend:
1. Try a pair of white jeans. White jeans can be found in almost any store this season. My favorite cut is the bootcut because it is perfect with a gorgeous pair of nude heels. J.Crew has a beautiful pair of white bootcut jeans in their collection and if bootcut isn’t for you, they come in a cropped pair and a skinny.
2. White sundresses. These make redheads look ravishing! The bright white will light up your face and contrast beautifully with your hair. Last year, Alice and Olivia’s Spring Ready to Wear show featured redheads in all different white dress silhouettes.
3. White shorts. They are perfect for the warm spring months, paired with a bright blue or hot pink top. Your red hair will totally pop. Seven For All Mankind has a great line of jean shorts!
4. Denim Jackets. These are coming back this spring, so combine two trends and rock a white denim jacket over a floral sundress! You can never go wrong with Ralph Lauren‘s jean jackets.
ACCESSORY TIP: The best accessories for white outfits are gold. Gold wedges will dress up any white dress or white jeans, and you can pair them with gold jewelry. Big long necklaces are flirty and fun for the springtime. The gold will perfectly accent the bronze in a redhead’s hair.
MAKEUP TIP: Always wear a tad bit of bronzer and a darker eye when rockin’ white or else it will wash out your redhead features.
Rock it like a Redhead!
By: Carmina Alvarez
The quickest and easiest way to transition from spring to summer is by updating the colors of your makeup, clothes and nail polish. It’s time to push aside the darker, “winter-ish” colors and go for simple pops of color that will keep you summer ready at all times.
Here are the top three “redhead friendly” picks to freshen up your look this season:
1. POWER RED: Redheads look amazing in red, especially deeper reds with blue tones. Opt for a bold, red lipstick, nail polish or fashion accessory. Tip: Don’t wear too much red or it will be red overload!
2. WILD PINK: Don’t be afraid of color this season! Get your inhibitions out of the window, brave up and start wearing tints of pink eyeshadow, lipstick, nail polish and fashion items. From fuchsia to baby pink to hot pink, you will definitely make a “hot” statement this summer.
3. CORAL: One of the best colors for redheads during the warmer months. Once appliged on the lips in a glossy or matte finish, it’s absolute perfection. When applied on nails, it screams summer time and fun at the beach. When applied on the cheeks, it gives you an incredible glow! And, there’s nothing cuter than a coral summer dress.
What colors make you Rock it like a Redhead this summer? Keep beautifully red, ladies!