To keep your red hair looking its best every day, follow this simple guide. These dos and don’ts will keep your hair in tiptop shape and fashion-forward style:
1. Wet hair: Comb it. Never brush it when wet. This will help prevent spilt ends.
2. Cold Water: After shampooing and conditioning, rinse your hair with cold water to give it extra shine.
3. Shampooing: With your fingers, do five to six circular motions to get the “proper” shampoo for your red locks.
4. SPF Protection: Use sun care products in your hair to give it extra protection in the sun.
5. Dry Shampoo: Use it when you don’t have time to shampoo and when your hair needs a little pick-me-up.
6. Overnight Treatments: Before going to bed, use an overnight conditioner in your hair. Rinse in the morning and style.
7. Trim Regularly: Frequent trims will keep your hair healthy and allow it to grow quicker.
8. Blast Cold Air: To keep your hair shiner after an at-home blow dry, blast cold air on it for a few seconds. This will keep it in place and make your red hair look extra gorgeous!
9. Don’t Overdo it: Using fewer products in your hair is the key to keeping your hair shiner and more moisturized. Tip: A little goes a long way.
Rock it like a Redhead!
By: Carmina Alvarez
Eyeliners, eye pencils and eyeshadows are the perfect way to define and enhance your eyes. Not only will certain techniques immediately change the shape of our eyes, but your eyes can appear larger and wider or small and closer together.
Eyeliner comes in various formulas, liquid gel and pencil. An eye pencil is usually more natural looking, and gel and liquid give a glamorous effect. Whatever your look may be, if you’re new at eyeliner, start with a pencil in order to get accustomed to applying eyeliner precisely and then move on to liquid or gel formulations.
The art of applying eyeshadow can be very tricky and very complex than any other cosmetic; but to become an expert, begin with experimenting with different looks and you’ll soon find yourself able to do some pretty cool effects.
Below are the best makeup tips for your dream eyes (and don’t forget that enhancing your eyes also livens ups your red locks!):
1. Wider and Bigger:
Apply a neutral matte eye shadow in a very light tone all over the eye lid. Then a slightly shimmery eye shadow in the same tone, only in the crease and inner corners. This will light up your eyes and give you a wider, more awake look. With the eye pencil, draw a fine line following the natural shape of your eyes, upper and lower lashes. Your eyes will be perfectly defined.
2. Closer Together:
If your eyes are a little farther apart, it is always suggested to apply neutral eye shadow in a light tone all over the eyelid and a medium toned neutral eye shadow in the inner corner of the eyes. Then, with your eye pencil, draw a line on your upper lash line, starting thicker from the inner corner and finer in to the outer corner. This will emphasize the inner corners and make your eyes closer.
3. Separate or Farther Apart:
Apply a neutral matte eye shadow in a light tone all over the eye lid and a matte eye shadow in a dark tone in the outer corners of the eye lids, to create an elongated effect. Then take your eye pencil and draw a slightly thick line, just on the outer corners as well, to add extra length.
4. Slightly Rounder:
Apply a neutral matte eyeshadow all around the edges of the upper and lower eye lids. Then apply eye pencil on the upper and lower lash line, thickening the line on the outer.
5, Slightly Oval:
Apply a neutral matte eyeshadow all across the eye lid. With your eye pencil, draw a line all along the upper and lower lash line, thickening the line in the middle to create make the shape more oval. Tip: Remember to smudge your eye pencil with a smudge brush as you go, to soften the lines, to create a natural look, emphasize eye definition and to add depth.
Rock it like a Redhead!
It is National Women’s Health Week and as spring reaches its peak and temperatures soar, it is now more important than ever to stay protected from the sun.
Red locks typically coat ivory colored skin which produces less melanin, making it more susceptible to skin cancer – the #1 form of cancer in the United States. YIKES!
However, you can still achieve a healthy summer glow without having to sacrifice your health.
An alternative (aside from sunless tanner) is eating certain foods that actually make your skin tan from within.
A recent study proved that people who ate mostly fruits and vegetables had more of a healthy looking golden hue than they did when they actually had a suntan.
Why? Certain fruits and vegetables are packed with antioxidants, when frequently consumed these antioxidants are stored in the fat just below skins surface adding a glow to pigmentation actually mimicking a tan. Plus, they prevent wrinkles, improve eyesight, strengthen the immune system and can’t hurt our dress size!
Here are some foods listed and the antioxidant they contain to bring out the golden hue in you:
1. Carrots (alpha-carotene)
2. Spinach (beta-carotene)
3. Tomatoes (lycopene)
4. Plums (carotenoid)
5. Cantaloupe (beta-carotene)
6. Oranges (alpha-carotene)
Experts say, it takes approximately two months to notice results and more than 1 serving per day, so eat up!
Aromatherapy is an ancient healing art that has many present-day benefits. It has been around for more than 6000 years and has been used in Greek, Egyptian, Roman, Persian, and even Chinese cultures where flowers and herbs were burned for scented baths, massages, and skin care for medicinal and cosmetic uses.
The aromatherapy technique using essential oils derived from plants to provide therapeutic benefits to both the mind and body. These days there are many cool beauty products that incorporate aromatherapy into their formulas to not only make you look good but feel good too. Aromatherapy can enhance the productivity of your body and mind in many different areas of your life.
Here are some of the best “redhead friendly” products for your daily routine:
1. Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy Orange-Ginger Energizing Shampoo and Conditioner to revitalize your locks and energize your mood.
2. Laura Mercier Creme Brulee Body and Bath collection will promote calm and balance.
3. Pacifica Lotus Garden Bath and Body products are all natural blends of citrus, herbs and lotus blossom which sooth both the mind and body to achieve a sense of balance and tranquility.
1. DuWop Blush Therapy include a mix of energizing and balancing scents like tangerine, lavender and lemon in great looking shades.
2. Aveda Mosscara Plus Rose is an all natural, lengthening mascara with just a hint of uplifting rose to stimulate those “happy thoughts” for the day.
1. The Tocca Beauty Candle will fill your home and senses with a quiet sense of well being. Try: The Bali and Colette scents. Each will relax your mind in time for sweet dreams.
Aromatherapy beauty products are an excellent way to indulge your senses and balance your mood which will result in a beautiful you- both inside and out!
Rock it like a Redhead!
National Women’s Health Week is a week long health observance coordinated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office on Women’s Health from May 13th-May 20th. It brings together communities, businesses, government, health organizations, and other groups in an effort to promote women’s health and its importance.
It also empowers women to make their health a priority and encourages them to take the steps to improve their physical and mental health and lower their risks of certain diseases.
One of the best ways for redheads to stay healthy is to use sunscreen. It was posted on NewsTarget that sunscreen is one of the “most harmful chemicals” we could put on our skin and it is the sunscreen that is actually causing skin cancer. Although, this hasn’t been proven and sunscreen is the best way to avoid sunburns and wrinkles.
We do not recommending stopping the use of sunscreen, but do discover some natural ways to prevent those nasty wrinkles and still manage to keep that redhead skin beautiful…with tomatoes!
It has been found that tomato sauce actually prevents sunburns.
An MSNBC article stated, “Scientists think an antioxidant, lycopene, which gives tomatoes their colour, can neutralise harmful molecules produced in skin exposed to the sun’s ultra-violet rays. Tomato paste of the sort used to make pizza toppings is rich in lycopene. Skin levels of procollagen, which helps the skin stay supple and youthful…”
It has been tested and proven that tomatoes do keep skin from burning! Increase the use of tomatoes and continue to apply sunscreen on a daily basis. Your skin will thank you for it!
Rock it like a Redhead!